Gamescom is one of the largest video game trade fairs in the world and it typically features a wide range of upcoming games from various genres and platforms. Major game publishers often use gamescom to showcase their upcoming blockbuster titles. This could include games from franchises like Call of Duty, Assassin’s Creed, Mortal Combat and more. Gamescom Opening Night Live has officially kicked off, bringing with it dozens of new trailers and deep dives into upcoming games. Checkout the Gamescom Games List 2023 with biggest announcements on games that have already been announced and will be released within the next 12 months.
Gamescom also provides a platform for independent game developers to showcase their creations. Games that are exclusive to certain gaming platforms, such as PlayStation, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch, have been highlighted at gamescom opening night live event. The new Gamescom 2023 games list also features upcoming titles in these immersive gaming categories.
Genres like Role-Playing Games (RPGs), Action Games, and Adventure Games have a strong presence at Gamescom gaming events due to their popularity among gamers. Gamescom Games List 2023 also showcase competitive games to bring attention to the growing competitive gaming scene. In addition to games, gaming peripherals, accessories, and hardware have also been showcased at the event.
Gamescom Games List 2023
- Starfield – With Starfield around the corner, Opening Night Live began with a celebration of the game. Starfield composer Inon Zur set the mood by appearing on stage to play one of the tracks from the game, and a new live-action trailer showed off a cosmic adventure, all to the tune of a very slow cover of Rocket Man.
- Black Myth Wukong – After a lengthy period of operating under the radar, Black Myth Wukong returned at Opening Night Live with a fresh slice of high-powered gameplay. Journey to the West with a Soulsborne influence, the new trailer showed off some fast and furious action as the Monkey King Sun Wukong took on some fearsome new foes.
- Little Nightmares 3 – Developer Supermassive Games showed its first look at Little Nightmares III, which adds cooperative gameplay mechanics for the first time to the series. There’ll still be two protagonists in this new Little Nightmares game, but this time, you’ll be able to embark on a creepy adventure on your own or with a friend.
- Crimson Desert – Back for the first time since 2020, Crimson Desert showed off a new trailer and its main character, Kliff, who begins investigating strange phenomena in this action-RPG. The new gameplay snippet showed off several of the activities that players can take part in, a closer look at combat, and several minigames that you can enjoy when it eventually launches.
- Killing Floor 3 – Killing Floor 3 painted Opening Night Live red with a new trailer, which teases a futuristic setting with homicidal Zeds wielding cybernetic upgrades. Not much more was shown beyond that brief teaser, but you can expect Killing Floor 3 to launch for Xbox Series X|S, PS5, and PC in the future.
- Rebel Moon – Opening Night Live had more than just video games to show off, as Hollywood director Zack Snyder appeared on stage to reveal a new trailer for his ambitious sci-fi film Rebel Moon. It has been a year since we got our first look at the upcoming film, which was filmed back-to-back with its first sequel.
- Tekken 8 – Fighting game fans have been eating well in 2023, and come 2024, Bandai Namco is preparing to serve up a fresh dish of fisticuffs with its next Tekken game. Tekken 8 will launch on January 26, 2024, for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S, and in a new trailer, Bandai Namco showed off the game’s single-player mode.
- Age of Empires 4 – At long last, Age of Empires 4 is coming to Xbox Series X|S. Now available through Xbox Game Pass, this port of the PC strategy game comes with a completely overhauled control system that makes full use of every input on the Xbox controller so that you can easily build bases, command armies, and engage in some lethal diplomacy.
- Assassin’s Creed Mirage – A new trailer for Assassin’s Creed Mirage showed off the impressive lengths that Ubisoft has gone to create an authentic adventure set in the Middle East. Fully voiced in Arabic, the new gameplay video focused on a conversation between the game’s protagonist Basim and his companion Roshan as they explore an ancient version of Baghdad.
- Nightingale – Nightingale will be headed to early access on PC in February 2024. This early slice of the game will be available on both Steam and the Epic Games Store next year and will see players explore the Fae Realms after a mysterious virus wipes out most of humanity in the late 1800s.
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III’s world gameplay premiere debuted at Opening Night Live at Gamescom ahead of its release in November 2023. The new footage showed Modern Warfare III’s first mission, “Operation 627,” and how players will raid a maximum security prison at night. Cutting-edge military gadgets, rowdy prisoners looking to pick a fight, and a prison break eventually creates a chaotic situation in this gameplay deep dive that quickly shifts from stealth to all-out combat.
- Payday 3 – Famous Law & Order actor and occasional rapper, Ice T briefly stole the Gamescom stage to announce that he’ll be appearing in a special Payday 3 mission. “I’ve hooked up with my favorite game in the world, Payday, and I have my own special heist mission in Payday 3,” Ice T said in a video message. “And you know I know a lot about heists in real life, all right?”
- Zenless Zone Zero – Genshin Impact developer miHoYo showed off plenty of new footage for its upcoming and stylish action-RPG Zenless Zone Zero. This expanded look at the game revealed more of the playable characters that you can command in battle, a massive boss battle, and action-packed combat that looks very approachable.
- The First Descendant – Nexon announced that a new cross-play beta will kick off in September. Additionally, the studio showed off more of the game during Opening Light Live in a trailer that mixed impressive battle sequences with lavish cinematics, all powered by Unreal Engine 5.2.
- Sonic Frontiers – A free content update for Sonic Frontiers, last year’s ambitious open-world game that had a ridiculously metal soundtrack during boss fights, will be available later this year. Fans can expect a new story, new playable characters, and new challenges in The Final Horizon DLC.
- Sonic Superstars – Sonic Superstars finally would be released on 17 October 2023. A charming throwback to classic Sonic games but with more modern visuals, Sonic Superstars allows you to play as the Blue Blur while your friends join in on the fun with Tails, Knuckles, and Amy Rose.
- Honkai Star Rail – Hoyoverse revealed new content for its free-to-play turn-based RPG Honkai: Star Rail during Opening Night Live, with a gameplay trailer that revealed the 5 star character Fu Xuan. Anyone looking to play the game on PS5 can try out a technical test, which starts this week.
- Stormgate – Stormgate, a love letter to classic Blizzard strategy games like StarCraft and Warcraft, is due out in 2024. It would feature a clash between sci-fi armies lead by humanity’s Vanguard against the demonic hordes of the Infernal Host. Which side will you choose? That’s entirely up to you, but as seen in a brief new teaser, the Infernal Host looks like a devilish delight with its gung-ho approach to battle.
- Granblue Fantasy: Relink – Cygames revealed the release date for its anime-influenced game Granblue Fantasy: Relink. Originally a joint project between Cygames and Bayonetta developer Platinum Games, the two studios went separate ways in 2019. Granblue Fantasy: Relink will release on February 1 for PC, PS5, and PS4.
- Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty – Cyberpunk 2077’s ambitious spy-thriller expansion Phantom Liberty looks like a fun reason to return to Night City, and in a new trailer, CD Projekt Red showed off new weapons and clothing options, car combat, and the overhauled gameplay. The big news here is that while Phantom Liberty is a paid-for expansion, several of these improvements will be coming to base versions of the game, free of charge.
- Mortal Kombat 1 – In a new trailer for Mortal Kombat 1, NetherRealm’s Ed Boon introduced a few familiar faces to the game’s already loaded roster. Shao Kahn, reimagined as General Shao in this game, was in the spotlight alongside Sindel and two new Kameo Fighters, Mortal Kombat 3 boss Motaro and Mortal Kombat Deception protagonist Shujinko.
- Expeditions: A Mudrunner Game – Developed by Saber Interactive, Expeditions is a new spin-off to Mudrunner that focuses deeply on exploration and upgrades. The debut gameplay trailer for Expeditions: A MudRunner Game showed off how players will be able to use drones to explore a location, find resources, and then chart an optimal route through tricky terrain.
- Marvel Snap – Marvel Snap’s free-to-play collectible card game action is exiting early access on Steam. Second Dinner’s Ben Brode announced at Opening Night Live that Marvel Snap now has native PC support and all players can claim rewards with Twitch Drops starting today.
- Last Epoch – Eleventh Hour Games revealed more details on its crowd-funded dungeon crawler that is currently available in early access. The sixth main class, Runemaster, will be available starting 7 September 2023 and is a versatile powerhouse that can invoke 40 different abilities with a single skill use.
- Warhaven – free-to-play game, Warhaven is a free to play game by Nexon which has now got a new character trailer and a confirmed release date of 21 September 2023 for PC. The new Gamescom trailer shines a light on Blade and shows off his powerful skills in combat.
- Ara: History Untold – A new trailer for Ara: History Untold showed the first gameplay for the upcoming turn-based grand strategy game from developer Oxide Games and publisher Xbox Game Studios. Just like other 4X strategy titles, there is a need to guide a civilization cross multiple spheres of influence, cultivating their key diplomatic, military, culture, and technological strengths across the ages.
- Thank Goodness You’re Here – Developer Coal Supper — a 2 man studio consisting of Will Todd and James Carbutt — has debuted its “Comedy Slapformer: Thank Goodness You’re Here. It’s a weird homage to the duo’s beloved hometown, but it has a charming hand-drawn style, plenty of bizarre humor, and a trailer that shows several rapid-fire scenes of strange behavior. You can expect to dive into this interesting game next year when it releases for PC, PS5, and Switch.
- Diablo 4 Season 2 – Diablo 4 Season 2 i.e Season of Blood, now has a confirmed release date of 17 October 2023. Blizzard’s brief trailer revealed a new companion that players can recruit for their demon-slaying adventures, a vampire hunter named Erys who’ll assist players in snuffing out dens of the bloodsucking fiends.
- Alan Wake 2 – Alan Wake 2 closed out Opening Night Live with release of a spooky new trailer. This game has a mix of live-action and in-game survival-horror creepiness. The new trailer showed off the nightmarish New York City prison conjured up by the Dark Place, which Wake has been stuck in for over a decade.
About Gamescom 2023 Opening Night Live
Gamescom 2023 event showcase film director Zack Snyder to debut a new trailer for Rebel Moon, a live-action trailer for Starfield, and an unexpected interruption from a stage crasher. Alan Wake 2 had a new trailer to show off ahead of its new release date of October 27, Black Myth Wukong brought the Monkey King to Gamescom, and Mortal Kombat 1 painted the Koelnmesse red with a new look at its brutal brawling action.
Gamescom Opening Night Live 2023 also showcased games with plenty of fascinating new interactive titles. Some of the highlights included Thank Goodness You’re Here from The Good Time Garden developer Coal Supper, Nightingale’s early access date being confirmed, and a closer look at a playable faction in Stormgate. Fort Solis, a sci-fi horror adventure game with an impressive voice cast, was terrifying once again, and Tekken 8 dropped a release date bombshell on the event.
The event of Gamescom 2023 was closed with release of a spooky new trailer of Alan Wake 2 having mix of live-action and in-game survival-horror creepiness. The new trailer showed off the nightmarish New York City prison conjured up by the Dark Place, which Wake has been stuck in for over a decade.