Carnivore Diet Food List 2023 with names of foods to eat, check benefits and risks associated with carnivore diet plan. Unlike other high-protein, low-carb diets, the carnivore diet allows zero carbs and includes “only foods that either walked, swam, or flew”. The carnivore diet is a dietary approach that focuses on consuming animal products while excluding most or all plant-based foods.
On a carnivore diet, you can eat red meat, poultry, fish, and eggs. The diet excludes all produce, as well as grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds. Dairy is sometimes allowed. No vegetables of any kind are allowed on the carnivore diet, not even nonstarchy types that would otherwise fit into other diets, such as keto. Here’s a list of common foods that are typically allowed on the carnivore diet.
Carnivore Diet Food List
- Meat: Beef, pork, lamb, veal, game meats (such as venison), organ meats (like liver and kidney)
- Poultry: Chicken, turkey, duck.
- Fish: Salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines, haddock, and other fatty fish.
- Seafood: Shrimp, crab, lobster, scallops, mussels, oysters, and other shellfish.
- Eggs: Chicken eggs, duck eggs, quail eggs, and other types of eggs.
- Animal fats: Lard, tallow, duck fat, and other rendered animal fats.
- Bone broth: Homemade broth made by simmering bones and connective tissues.
- Salt: Mineral-rich salt is often recommended to replenish electrolytes.
- Water: It’s essential to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water.
- Dairy (optional for some individuals): Full-fat cheese, butter, ghee, heavy cream, and other high-fat dairy products (if tolerated).
Other options includes sauces or gravies, provided they are made only with meat drippings mixed with butter or ghee and no binders such as flour. It’s important to note that the carnivore diet eliminates most plant-based foods, including fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, and many processed foods.
Foods That May Be Okay on Carnivore Diet
Foods that might be acceptable, as some people interpret the “comes from an animal” part of the carnivore diet, include:-
- Coffee and tea
These are plant-based, but some people keep these in the diet.
Foods Not Allowed on the Carnivore Diet
Carnivore Diet Benefits
Ideally, the carnivore diet works best for goals such as:
- Lowering blood sugar levels
- Make gut calm
- Makes heart healthy
- Promotes weight loss
- Addresses autoimmune symptoms
- Identifies food sensitivities
- Cleanse the body from a high-carb diet
Risks Associated with Carnivore Diet Plan
It is worth noting that you can survive on a carnivore diet, but you’ll miss out on important nutrients, such as fiber and vitamins C and E. It is not safe for certain groups, including those with kidney disease, cardiovascular disease, or those with risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
Carnivore Diet Shopping List
- Meat: Ground beef, ground bison, pork shoulder, pork belly, bacon, chicken thighs, ground chicken, lamb neck, wild game.
- Seafood: Wild salmon, black cod, anchovies, sardines, canned tuna, shrimp, crab, clams, oysters.
- Animal Products: Beef tallow, butter, bone broth, bone marrow, heavy cream, cheddar cheese, ghee, lard, eggs.
- Snacks and Extras: Beef jerky, machaca, chicharrones, fried fish skins, fried chicken, skins, salt, pepper.
Anything else that isn’t meat, poultry, or fish, or derived from one of those, is not allowed on the carnivore diet. It’s recommended to consult with a healthcare professional or nutritionist before starting any new diet to ensure it aligns with your individual health needs.